Endangered snakes are those snakes that are in direct danger of becoming extinct. The rapid development of industry today has a dramatic influence on the existence of some animals, including snakes. For example, just in the USA, around 50% of all the snake species are one the list of endangered species. This is not good at all, mainly because they have a vital importance in the environment. A great number of snakes feed with rats and other rodents and they also control the population of insect population. For example, an adult snake can eat up to 100 rats during the year. They are also a great food for other animals, hawks for example. Wuthout them we would have great problems with rats and mice.
The most endangered snakes
• San Francisco Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia) – urbanization and pollution
• The Mexican ridge-nosed rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi) – destruction of habitat
• The Eastern Indigo Snake (Drymarchon couperi) - destruction of habitat
• Black-tailed python (Python molurus)- killed for their skin
• The King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) – rare, can’t be seen often
• Argentine Boa
• Boa Dumerili – destruction of forests
The main cause of the extinction of these snakes in rapid urbanization, pollution, destruction of forests, illegal collecting, use of pesticides, etc. If we don’t do something to protect these snake species their population will decline continuously. There are lots of things to be done in order to protect their natural habitat and make it secure for them.
There is a great number of organizations which exist with a sole reason to protect endangered species. If you want to help protect these endangered snakes feel free to support these organizations and get involved in their work. Anything you do is a huge step in the protection of these endangered species.